Friday, January 16, 2009

Don't Judge a Book by its Cover??

This is definitely the question on my mind today as I struggle in making the decision to put my precious little boy into a new daycare. I just want to start out by saying how totally jealous I am of those who still live in their hometowns, and are aware of the type of people taking care of their youngins. I know jealousy is an ugly emotion, however, I am very torn. The lady that keeps children in her home at this time is unavailable, but a friend of hers referred to the daycare center where her children go. I was so hopeful as I arrived at this rusty roofed older home that was only a few miles from my house, even though the outside left something to be desired, I was so hoping the inside would just be great. As I walked inside, I realized that this too was somewhat of a disappointment. Then I spoke to the owner, who has no formal education and speaks somewhat like a redneck (so inappropriate I know, but come on they may possibly be taking care of a very precious life), however, she spent over an hour talking with me. She was very honest and I could tell very caring. She assured me that children are not allowed to sleep anywhere but there cribs, which I really appreciate, and that they follow their normal sleep routines from home, also a bonus for me. Asher also seemed to enjoy her company as he sat in my lap and smiled largely as she showed him attention. So, I am looking past the outward appearance so far, and I say show me the room! As I look in on this tiny little room, again I am disappointed, but I still don't have that negative, horrible mommy feeling about Asher going here. Yes, his possible teacher looks like she stuck her finger in a light socket and seems to have some type of skin disorder, and so what that she wears cotton pants and a t-shirt. The fact is, she is down on the floor with these children crawling all over her loving her, and she was nice as can be. She reads to the children, and gives them attention, something that my angel is not getting where he is at now. The mother who referred to this place says that her daughter just about leaps out of her arms to go to Miss Renee (who is the infant teacher), however, I really don't even know this woman, can I trust her? I am wondering if I am just stuck thinking that my child should be in a "name brand" daycare, even though I am not convinced that the care is better...they just seem to put kids wherever they are quiet and rotate babies as they feed them. This is such a hard decision, but I think he would be loved in this rusty roof home, honestly, and I wonder if that is more important than top of the line education programs with teachers that are too busy to show him attention. This would be so much easier with family around. I am blessed in so many ways that I hate to even be struggling with this, but I just want what's best for my little man that I love so much. Those of you who don't have to work or live near family that help you with childcare, praise God for this blessing, cause it's a big one. I will let you know what we do, but comments are appreciated:)

2 comments:

Abby said...

hey rachael! I can relate my dear. I struggled with the same thing when i went back to school with eden. I live thousands of miles from any family. I HATED the school daycare and ended up finding a lady that lives in a little house that sounds much like the woman you are describing. I still hate leaving her, and still cry sometimes...but feel so much better about where she is now. no one is ever good enough to take care of your child...but I much prefer a home setting to a big day care. I hope something works out for your and your precious asher. p.s. I graduate this may from nursing school!

Anonymous said...

Hey Rachael, I love reading your blog... I'm so glad you decided to do it again. Anyways, I am about to have to go back to work and my husband and I have discussed daycare. I don't have much advise except that I believe a child is better off being with someone that will stimulate him and care for him instead of just being put in a swing for hours in a "name brand" daycare. Go with your gut... it always seems to be right. Good luck with your decision.